by: Lori Gregory
Many times, skin conditions are due to allergens. But did you know that many of our skin conditions are simply due to a nutrient or vitamin insufficiency or deficiency?? Here are only some examples.
Watch out for these symptoms
Dry Skin (xerosis): Many of us have dry skin. Rather than going to the store to buy some expensive lotion that has pore-blocking mineral oil or toxic artificial color, try thinking nutritionally. Overall dry skin could be a sign of insufficient essential fatty acids, Vitamin A, zinc, and omega-3 oils in your diet.
Rough bumpy skin on the back arm? This is a potential sign of Vitamin A, essential fatty acids, B vitamins, or pancreatic enzymes (helps absorb these nutrients)
Thick calluses (yuck): Don’t keep picking your calluses; they will only grow back thicker. You are most likely insufficient in Omega-3 oils.
Eczema (a big one): There are tons of treatment for eczema, some very legitimate. But it is important to treat the root cause, or your eczema will keep coming back. Find your trigger; most eczema eruptions are allergic reactions to things like milk, wheat gluten, soy, eggs, or even perfumes. But eczema can also be caused by a lack of fatty acids in the diet.
Contrary to what many believe, including many medical professionals, you cannot get your recommended daily vitamin intake from our standard American diet (SAD). Additionally, our soil is simply nutrient- deficient. It is therefore needful to supplement with daily vitamins. I know, there are many brands out there. The best quality brands, however, will have a seal on the bottle that says “NSF” and/or “GMP.”
One last thing....
A quick google search showed that there are many cosmetic companies who really care about your skin and agree there are some bad ingredients still being placed in cosmetics. Here is a list of some ingredients that will assault your skin and could possibly cause allergies, eczema, reproductive issues, and even cancer! And this is no way near a complete list. (Frend’s Beauty, 2019; Odacite, n.d.)
You may want to go grab some of your routine cosmetics out of your closet to check their ingredients. I’ll wait…(smile)
- Mineral oil--blocks your pores and prevents the skin from eliminating toxins, which could lead to acne.
- Parabens (Methy, Butyl, Ethy, Propyl)--hormone imbalance
- Phthalates--listed under “fragrance.” Also contributes to hormone imbalance.
- Propylene glycol (PG) and Butylene glycol--weakens the cell structure of your skin.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)--detergent that makes products foam; strips your skin of natural oils, causing dry skin, irritation and allergic reactions (BBC Two, 2021).
- Synthetic fragrances--listed as “Synthetic” or “Artificial.” RED FLAG!!
- Triclosan--synthetic antibiotic. Found in soap, mouthwash, shaving cream, deodorants, toothpaste, etc. Disrupts the thyroid, could cause cancer.
(Please note that I do not endorse any cosmetic company; I personally do not use them. I make my own products out of castille soap, glycerin, shea butter, coconut oil, and essential oils.)
Here’s to your skin health!
BBB Two. (2021).
Frend’s Beauty. (2019)
Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM). Retrieved from